Sharing my work and life openly and often in a vulnerable form is not unusual here. I talk openly about my introversion, imposter syndrome, support I need, my 'slow learning', reflector/evaluator mind set etc. As well as talking about my personal experiences with workplace challenges and difficulties; DarkLight Phoenix - rising to the surface, What HE can learn from me and FE, Imposter - phantom in self or environment?, Dared to lead - to name a few. Therefore I consider myself a representative example of expressing vulnerability and a good person to talk about it. It's a topic that is close to my heart. In fact it is the strapline to my blog 'Beware of my openness!' - more about what that means in 'Why openness is good'.
Below is a paper I wrote on the topic in an effort to get a real conversation flowing - something I touched on in the 'Lead wholeheartedly' section of my Dared to lead blog post. Nobody had asked for this paper, it was something that I wanted to simply put out there and to start thinking about what we could do with it - is there a problem to be solved or just encourage the principles? Anyway, this might be a useful nugget of information or be of comfort to some.
So after a conversation about this with a colleague to sense-check the paper, it allowed me to reflect on my intentions of it. Therefore I have decided to shelve sharing the paper with my department for the time being. I'm still learning about this topic, but I was hoping for it to lead into developing something pragmatic. Overall the paper has done what I wanted at this stage; questioning existence and practicalities. The following are some initial learning points I noted following the conversation I had:
- Whilst my colleague acknowledged we've all experienced this at some point. I do think it triggered something, positive or negative. However, I don't think many know how to deal/challenge this though, hence the discussion paper
- Interestingly it looks like it was sensitive issue/topic that I may have unconsciously wanted to get off my chest, in a gentle way
- Many aspects of vulnerabilities are already present within the organisation, so there may be little need/importance/urgency to push it at the moment - being kept honest on the facts
- The paper alone may not be enough for a discussion and the topic of vulnerabilities in isolation is not an ideal way forward. It needs context; i.e. attached to organisational needs/developments
- It may appear an academic piece, but lacks a variety of perspectives and conclusion. So therefore, it ended up being a 'passion piece'/short research activity asserting my interest
- Unclear what it should leave people thinking after reading it. But hopefully it spurred on some thoughts
I sound a bit defeatist but am still positive in doing something with this. So for now I have published it here, but like many of my pieces of work they do get used or repurposed somewhere along my journey.
EDIT: Brené Brown shared this quote that I really resonate with, especially recognising others potential and being empathetic in developing them:
July 2021 - I felt strong about the content of this paper, so I mulled over what I could do with it. I later submitted it to the #JoyFE Magazine as part of their 'The Joy of Leadership' section. Later published in #JoyFE Magazine #14 on 30 July 2021. I received the following feedback which was great to hear from the community.
Me - Thank you Elizabeth. 😊 It's not an easy thing to do/change, but it is transformational for workplace cultures.
Me - Thank you Stacey. 😊 It's tough being brave. But don't surrender the will to take small courageous and persevering steps...
Jo Fletcher-Saxon - Let’s rumble ... with vulnerability. @_Daniel_Scott talks us through vulnerable leadership and questions to ask of ourselves and organisations. 🙌👏
Me - I can assure you I did rumble with my own vulnerability writing it... 😉
Stephen Taylor - "I love your published piece! It's exactly what I need right now to help give some affirmation to my approach."


Post a Comment